Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Midwife at Morges

Went to see the head midwife at Morges hospital yesterday to discuss birth stuff. It was a good visit. She reminded me of something I picked up in my nursing career - that being generous with your time, really listening to people and actually being nice to them covers over a multitude of sins.

Her name was Sophie, and she was very patient as I brought up every little niggling worry. We talked about gas and air. She looked a bit sorry and sheepish.
"No, we don't have it in Switzerland. You can get it in France, though" she said, trying to be bright. I did a quick mental calculation on how long it might take to get to France. An hour and a half. Too long.
I talked about the TENS machine.
"I've heard of them but I don't think I've ever seen one." She looked very concerned at my crestfallen expression. "Maybe someone can send one from England?" she said softly.
We talked about monitoring and cannulas. She made a note that I wanted as little monitoring as possible, but the cannula was non-negotiable. I really trusted her at this point, so that made it OK.
Then, unprompted, she just looked at me with such a kind look on her face and said "It must be really hard to be far from home." At which point I had to bite my lip to stop bursting into tears.

Then she took us round a birthing suite. It looked a bit like a medieval torture chamber made from high-grade polymers and wipe clean surfaces. There was a detachable bed, funny straps hanging off the ceiling and a huge bath with strange looking inflatables in it, but all very clean and efficient-looking. I remember the tour of the delivery rooms at St George's while the builders were in: the bare wires and pipework didn't inspire me with confidence (not that I noticed one iota when it came to it.)

We shook hands and she gave me the number to call when it all kicks off, and a list of things to bring. In typical Swiss fashion, it starts with:
- residency permit
- 2 passports
- blood type card
- proof of health insurance for Mother and Baby
then it gets to the toiletries, going-home clothes etc. It doesn't mention anything about industrial-sized sanitary towels, but I think I should probably take them anyway.

5 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Providing Minks has had her bab by mid Jan (let's hope s/he's not as stubborn as his/her brother when it comes to being born) then I am more than happy to send you my TENS machine. It's purple and helped me so much when we were bringing the lobster into the world! x

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Tooting bird said...

Oh WOW! yes please yes please yes please. Obviously Baby S has priority clearance (can you tell I've been watching 24?) x

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider it done my love, no doubt it will need to go straight from Swissland to Bristol! I'll have a padded envelope ready for as soon as Minks is out of the delivery suite!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger christina said...

Well it's nice you got some things sorted out and are feeling a bit better about the whole thing. I had both my babies in this foreign country so I had nothing to compare it to but there were still a few things I found very weird.

I'm so behind the times that I've never heard of a TENS machine but I just looked it up and it sounds wonderful! The hospital I had my boys at offered almost nothing in the way of pain relief aside from a few homeopathic drops. No air, no gas, no epidural. I knew that when I registered there and survived the ordeal, but it wasn't much fun.

Wishing you a calm and peaceful birth...

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger christina said...

Me again - Do you have Plus supermarkets in Switzerland or are you close to the German border, because Plus has TENS machines on offer Dec. 27 for €29.99. My husband says he has know about them for a long time and was treated with one for knee pain once.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home