Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The black dog

Yesterday was a bad day. It was bad because

a) It was cold and rainy.
b) Between the hours of 8.15 and 6pm I had a very repetitive, very one-sided conversation along these lines: "Emma, don't hit me", "Emma don't throw that (insert name of heavy, dangerous missile here)"
c) There was no laundry, no shopping, no post office errands to run and I felt suddenly very lonely and very homesick, with an intensity I haven't felt for ages.
d) I really wanted a TV.
e) I had a moment of panic about who will look after E when I go into labour and who might be close enough and friendly enough to do so in the middle of the night
f) then I thought about the whole, painful labour business and that made me panic even more, especially as the Swiss don't believe in gas and air
g) and that made me suddenly realise in less than 10 weeks we will actually have another baby and we haven't even made lists or prepared anything, apart from borrow a cot that is still lying around in pieces because of a lack of screws and buy a 2nd hand chest-of-drawers from a shop called Gloryland.

Anyway: today was a bit better. The sun was out. And Emma had a good day at nursery! When I came to pick her up, she had blue paint on her nose and was wearing a royal-blue princess costume, chirping away in a language all her own.

7 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to wish you a good day today! Hang in there !

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The smacking/throwing thing is a nightmare- and we can't even drink to numb the pain!!
Take heart, your next labour will probably be about 3 hours long and will conveniently take place during daylight hours- whilst elf is at nursery.
As for the reality of actually having another baby- john and I discussed the very same thing last night. We're choosing not to think about is as we'll only scare ourselves senseless.
My advice is pop the cot up in a few weeks and buy a few nappies. You'll be grand xxxx

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Hello dearie, just wanted to make sure you're feeling better. If it helps, I have crappy homesick days like that (nearly every day- but don't tell anyone!) too so I know how you feel!

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I think a little anxiety 10 weeks before birth is only to be expected. But who needs lists when you have experience! If they don't go in for gas and air, upgrade to an epidural - cannot recommend it enough. As for homesickness, believe me I know how that feels. Love and all from the Moz crew...

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I think a little anxiety 10 weeks before birth is only to be expected. But who needs lists when you have experience! If they don't go in for gas and air, upgrade to an epidural - cannot recommend it enough. As for homesickness, believe me I know how that feels. Love and all from the Moz crew...

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger clarey b said...

Quelle coincidence... I've had an almost identical day to that today. I can't hear properly. I have no friends here. And we're having a baby in about 11 weeks which I also haven't really thought about! Added to that, saw a five day old second baby at playgroup this morning - mother looked radiant, three hour labour (after C-section the first time). I got home and cried. Miss you xx

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You won't need gas and air baby - you are the labouring queen!
I'm betting on 2 hours - home in time for tea and syrup waffles!
Big love, J xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home