Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Me, My Elf and I

Rob is in Pakistan, so my Elf and I are fending for ourselves this week. This is not strictly true as the fabulous Oliver and Martina are staying here to keep me company and whisk me to hospital just in case Tarquin or Perdita suddenly gets fed up with womb life. They are a great pair for seeing off the blues; not only do they seem to like what I cook (their standards are very low), but they have promised me a German cultural evening tomorrow, with dumplings and maultaschen (large, meat-filled ravioli thingys) and Haribo sweeties, yum yum!

Literary matters now. I have just started reading Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks: I know, it was really big news about 10 years ago and I have only just got round to seeing what the fuss is about. But really, what is the fuss about? I have got to chapter 4 and feel most unmoved; the main man is brooding and silent, and has already managed to have it off with the uptight (married) heroine without barely asking her what time it is, so silent is he. The sex scenes are graphic and a bit gross, and they say things to each other like "It's right. You know it's right. It's right as anything can ever be" (cheese!) and then SF writes things like "The force that drove through him could not be stopped" (corn!) and "the smell of roses came from her scented neck" (corny cheese!).

I will stick with it for now, because I've read everything else in the house.

5 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stick with it, it gets better. But if you dodn't like the graphic sex, will you enjoy the graphic war scenes? Also a bit gross, but as a nurse perhaps you're not as squeamish as me. Just read Louis de Bernieres Birds Without Wings and I can certainly recommend that (equally graphic war scenes though).

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Tooting bird said...

At the rate things are going, I can't wait for war to break out.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The romance bits are naff, but the war bits are good, I seem to remember, so maybe persist a bit.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger leon's life said...

I have a really bad book that I am trying to get rid of, but nobody wants if you give up on that one:



http://leonsamlaurent.blogspot.com/2005/11/intellectual-moment.html

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Marie said...

For a cracking WW1 book try Sebastian Barry's Booker-shortlisted "A Long Long Way" - should have won it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home