Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Part two: why we're going to Uganda

I hope my last post was reassuring - or a bit more reassuring anyway - that we won't be recklessly endangering either ourselves or our children. I accept, though, that it is nonetheless a big change. I also accept that if not as risky as it sounds, it is still more risky than an office job in a UK town. The other question people have asked is - why? Why leave a perfectly comfortable, functioning country where 8 year old children walk alone to school?

This is not a very easy question to answer, but here goes. Firstly: selfish reasons. We broadly fit the description 'adventurous types'. (Only 'broadly', because we like camping, but not bungee jumping.) Essentially, we are a pair of old hippies who like nipping off somewhere by bike with just a spare pair of underpants and a toothbrush. 'Comfortable' and 'functioning' are OK, but also, well, a bit dull. So it is with Switzerland; it's a place I have taken to my heart and will be sad to leave, but I never thought for a moment I could stay here forever, for the above reason.

More selfish reasons. Our quality of life will probably improve in Kampala. No more cramped apartment for one. We'll be able to buy more for our money; although we have never lacked anything here, we have to be a bit careful. Our children will get an excellent pre-school education. I have no desire to go back to the UK to fight tooth and nail for a nursery place. And didn't it recently top a poll for Most Unhappy Places to Be a Child?

Other -hopefully- less selfish reasons. There is a lot of need. There is a valid debate going on about whether it's the responsibility of rich Westerners or governments to meet the need. Meanwhile (and forgive me for being a bit emotive here, but it's a simple fact) do you leave people to die? The good news about Uganda is that peace is breaking out up North. There is optimism that people will be able to return to their villages, plant crops and get on with life. Then we will be out of a job, and that is a good thing. That is the point.

Another reason: God's call. (I know not everyone will get this; I am not preaching here, just explaining our motives as honestly as possible.) I haven't had a booming voice or a gilt-edged contract from heaven. But I get upset when I watch DVDs about the night commuters. I get excited when I hear people's Africa stories. I can be finishing a perfect three-course meal by the lake, with the silhouette of the Alps marking the evening sky..and I'm haunted by the millions of children in other countries who will never make it to my age, let alone enjoy such luxury. And I'm bothered by this verse: "anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." (James 4:17) We've prayed about this and thought about this for months; and it feels like the right thing to do.

Sorry if any of the above has offended you.

Time to go.

6 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger sarah said...

Good for you guys!xxx

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds perfect...! And we have to think about our R&R now... in Kampala??? :-)
Liefs,
Willem & Wendy

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I understand....Soo cool for kids to grow up as TCKs.. cool but also very hard :-P

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Perfectly good set of reasons, and may I just add that you will probably feel that your kids are safer than ever. Plenty of young kids walk to school on their own in Kampala, the only obvious risk being traffic, and I have found that Africans LOVE children. You (and they) will have to get used to perfect stranegrs picking them up and making a fuss over them. Something that never happens in paranoid Europe, and which is rather lovely.

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

easyjet don't fly there but others do, apparently? Who knew.

Book me into that spare room; I'm gonna put the camp into Kampala!

Px

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think thats wonderful news, life is for living and what a great adventure to see Africa and experience a new culture , love to you all xxxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home