Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Some background: part one

Since we let the world know about our Uganda plans, a few people have raised concerns about our going. In my last post, I felt a bit uneasy re-reading the sentence about my children getting tropical disease, when I know there are people reading this (family included) who would be horrified at my flippancy. I think their horror comes from a desire to love and protect us, which I appreciate. So it's only fair to explain a little bit more about what we'll be doing and why we're going in the first place.

What we will be doing? Let me start with the Switzergent. He'll be managing all the Medair programmes in Northern Uganda. In short - very short, you can read more here if you are interested in the context - Northern Uganda is plagued by displacement, violent conflict and poverty. There are refugee camps holding tens of thousands of people who have fled their villages due to these problems. Medair provides water and sanitation and primary health care to the people in these camps. Switzergent will spend 3 weeks out of 4 in Kampala, but for 1 week per month he'll be visiting the camps. Travelling in and around Northern Uganda is dangerous, a fact I am not going to try and gloss over. But it has improved in the last year.

What will I be doing? Pretty much what I'm doing here. 90 per cent of the time I will be changing nappies, reading stories, doing laundry, paying bills, picking things off the floor and trying not to shout. And dodging insects. The other 10 per cent - I'm guessing -I will be doing church-related stuff and some writing. I am not allowed near Northern Uganda, both by Medair and by my conscience. It's a risk I will not take with young children.

What will Kampala be like? I've never been there, but I'm assured by lots of people that it's a modern, pleasant capital city. It's pretty safe to move around, although the driving is a bit reckless. There is broad political stability. There is running water, electricity, shops, restaurants, and the internet (not sure about broadband.) There are occasional power cuts when water levels in Lake Victoria are low.

Where will we live? I've seen a picture of our future house and it looks -well, palatial. We will have a spare bedroom (that's a hint: take it) and my predecessor (hello Sally) has planted a vegetable garden. We will be able to pay someone to help with the kids, cook and clean. If anything I feel embarrassed and a bit uncomfortable by the neo-colonial luxury that awaits us.

And as for tropical disease, Lake Victoria is notorious for bilharzia so I won't be taking Em and Glo for a paddle any time soon. But -and I'm not 100 per cent about this - apparently Kampala is not a malarial area.

I hope you share my view now that it's actually not that risky. If you were thinking aid work was all about throwing oral rehydration sachets from helicopters being shot at by rebels - sorry to disappoint. Or come and see for yourself (second hint. I really mean it.)

6 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

acres of admiration xxx

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Perhaps I can help:
1. Domestic staff. Don't feel guilty, think of it merely as giving someone a much-needed job and remember in countries like these one emplyed person can support up to 10 dependents at times. It is considered your social duty to share your wealth by employing people!
2. Malaria: sorry but there was plenty of it in Kampala when I was there. Avoid it by religiously using repellent, wearing long trousers and sleeves in the evenings (if it's not too hot) and above all always sleep under an insecticide-treated mozzie net. I've had malaria once in 6 years here, it can't just be luck!
3. Uganda, as I have said, is a fantastic place, and I'm full of admiration for you and Rob choosing to go there and help its most vulnerable and ill-treated people. Hope to come and visit. It will be a great exoerience, enjoy!

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what will you be writing? Says Mrs P who can gloss over anything scary for that particular pleasure. X

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Impossible Jane said...

My dear friend is leaving on Saturday for Uganda for part vacation part work in an orphanage. Don't listen to others and their third world concerns. I don't even know you but I think it's a wonderful thing you're doing. You're children will have great stories to tell when they are older.

I also just had a co-worker who moved to Guatamla with her 7 year old and her unborn child and had her child there...in a rural village. I hated hearning my other co-workers tell her over and over again that she wast stupid and crazy for wanting to move to a third world country. I was the only one who supported her.

Good luck!

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family and I lived for 10 years in East Africa (ages 13 to 23 for me)and there are three things that I learnt.
Firstly, there will always be some risk to the people and things that you value. My friend who lived next to a river worried about the crocodiles getting her children and dogs, but people I knew in the UK worried about their children getting hit by cars.
Secondly, I believe there is a 10% rule. Example: 10% of the people that you meet you become friends with, 10% of those friends become soul-mates. It's a numbers game, but you have to keep on trying to meet new people and do new things because 10% of the time it will lead to fantastic results.
Thirdly, in Africa sometimes when you expect the best from people, you get the worst; but often when you expect the worst, you get the best. There are plenty of stories I could tell where people could have taken advantage and have helped me instead.
If you want to carry on running, you could always join the Hash, but be warned, Kampala like Rome is built on 7 hills!
Oh, and regarding the toys, do you have anyone in UK (grandparents maybe?) who could help storing them for a while?
Wishing you luck!

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger Marie said...

I *heart* Uganda. You'll have a wonderful time. It's years since I visited and I still think of it often. The people are the loveliest I have met anywhere, the country one of the most beautiful. I'm so excited for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home