Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

More grossness in the kitchen

We have moths.
In our kitchen cupboards.

How did I discover them? I was reaching for a packet of brown rice that had not been used for some time. (Let's just say it was a healthy eating phase that didn't work out.) What's that in there? I thought. I shook the packet about a bit. And flitter, flutter....out came a handful of moths. They left behind little moth cocoons and moth droppings.

After a moment's retching and queasiness, I investigated some more. Cocoons, droppings (they might not be droppings, but I am in no mood to speculate, only to think the worst) everywhere, in lasagne packets, bags of flour, nasty nests in the meringue nests.

I have tried to purge what I can, but this morning I saw another one, flying out of the cupboard but beyond that I have been unable to locate the hostile's address.

It's like that Alfred Hitchcock film, The Moths.*

*I mean The Birds, don't I?

6 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Minks said...

bleugh

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Word Imp said...

I hate it when that happens! Ants in the pantry are bad enough but moths and their like are much worse. Is it weevils in all the various stages of their life cycle? I think they start in flour. I believe you need a new pantry. What the heck! A new kitchen. I blame the healthy eating phase.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my sympathy. We are trying to purge ourselves of clothes moths at the moment (I blame the previous occupants of our house and their eeyuk carpet). A nightmare. It's the squirming larvae that really turn my stomach. This article was useful: http://www.uknetguide.co.uk/Homes_and_Gardens/Article/How_to_Get_Rid_of_Moths.html/ Perhaps they'll have something on getting rid of the healthy eating variety.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger clarey b said...

Poor you! My parents have the same problem and - sorry to break bad news - they haven't been able to purge them completely either... Call in Swiss pest control - I bet they're fantastic. Come to think of it they probably don't have such a thing!!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger christina said...

Ugh. We have those sometimes as well and I usually just throw everything out and start over. The eggs are actually in the stuff you buy and the moths hatch later and lay even more eggs. Endless cycle of grossness.

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's nothing. We have head lice AND worms at the moment. Outgross that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home