Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Things I am struggling with today

1. Staying awake
After a few happy moments this summer when Gloria slept through the night, she is now convinced at 8 months old that she is a newborn again and wants to be fed 2-3 times a night. I think she's teething. Whatever her excuse is, it'd better be good.
Emma also likes to rise at 5.30 and climb into bed with us - she always goes to Daddy so at least I can pretend it's not happening for a bit. After 10 minutes she gets bored and starts shouting "Breakfast."

2. Overeating
Partly because I can't stand wasted food but mainly because I am a greedy pig, I like to hoover up my children's plates as well as my own, usually before they've had a chance to eat it themselves. It was tuna/sweetorn/mayonnnaise baked potatoes today, slathered with butter. I think I ate about 5. This rampant over-consumption is all taken care of by breastfeeding for now, but when Glory tires of her special dairy products, those extra cals will pile on like an avalanche. Let's not talk about my sour cream and chocolate birthday cake, either.

3. Laziness
I have a week's worth of laundry to do and I'm not doing any of it. I have an in-tray bulging with tough decisions for which I have to unearth my ancient reading, writing and arithmetic skills and I'm not doing any of it. And the tax man is knocking, but I am not in: not today.

4. Daydreaming
I'd love to watch How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria. I love 24 but I don't think Kiefer Sutherland can act. What would Emma look like if I cut her fringe on the bias. How many calories are there in a baked potato.

5. Being shallow and inane.

4 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger sarah said...

Sounds like you're doing fine!

Thought i was the only person (apart from my sister in law oh and Matt who has no choice) who is watching the Maria programme! I'm loving it...even shed a few tears much to matt's amusement!!!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger clarey b said...

Oh I do love reading your blog. You make me feel totally normal and sane!! We're all doing exactly the same stuff love. Miss you xx

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, you are so right to daydream about 'Maria' as, unfortunately, you are missing out! Can you max out on the official site? In my opinion it's the best TV since Strictly Come Dancing! Good quality, well-presented, sparkly, wholesome family fun. May even be better than SCD. ALTHOUGH 'our Irish Maria', Aoife, was cruelly robbed by horse-face Celine Dion-clone (has the face, not the voice) Helena last week which was the first time it left me feeling a bit grumpy afterwards. I've come to the conclusion that the 'choice' of song (which the panel makes for them) is a decisive factor. They should all get huffy like 'our Romanian Maria' and demand to sing what they want and then choose stuff like 'Unchained Melody' or that dirge from that ludicrous, yet peculiarly compelling, Costner vehicle 'Prince Of Thieves' on the basis that if people kept the song at the top of the charts for 500 weeks they're more likely to vote for it again.
That and the fact that no-one can spell Aoife so she probably lost out on the text voting.
Anyway, the true joys are as follows:
-that they were all pretty good from the start so there was none of the 'Fame Academy' type fannying around pretending half of them stand a chance when they can scarcely hold a note
-that any and every opportunity to make a pun or humorous Sound of Music related reference is taken; the best ones can be spotted about 20 seconds before Graham Norton (in admirably low-key (for him) and sympathetic form) delivers them
-that Andrew Lloyd-Webber, for all his quirky hair colour decisions, uncomfortable twisted genius mannerisms and doubtless rather suspect politics, has a rather charming sense of humour and a highly-developed sense of irony both of which he seems more than happy to turn on himself
-that every time Andrew L-W is introduced, a spotlight picks him out in his armchair and plays the opening bars of 'Phantom'
-that although there are little snippets of what 'our Marias' have been up to during the week, this has mostly avoided the temptation to dwell in a prurient manner likely to affect ones view of their performances on the night. (I do have a suspicion this will be ramped up for the final though).
-err, that's all that comes immediately to mind.

Now, about you: love reading you; never stopped and thirst for more, more, more.

Love to you all,
Px

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

As a queen of shallow and inane, I don't think you're struggling at all. I think you're doing it quite well.

More! more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home