Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Monday, May 29, 2006

From sad to worse

Emma woke up today at 6.30. No usual twittering, she just asked "Monkey home?" in a sad little voice.

So at 6.31 and already feeling wobbly I phoned the £1000-a-minute 24 hour railway helpline. A nice-sounding lady gave me the number of Biel/Bienne station.

At 9 I phoned them up. No monkey. Fill in a lost property form on the internet, madame.

At 9.05, with Emma usefully distracted with shelf-emptying, I filled out the form.
Please describe lost item: one light brown, soft cloth monkey, 14cm tall, 8 cm wide (approx). Well loved.

11.30. Emma's nap time. "Monkey?" she said, as I put her in her cot. "He's not here, my love. I'm so sorry." She bursts into uncontrollable sobbing. "Mon-KEY!" I take her out of bed and she clings on to me sobbing and gulping. I stroke her little soft head and tell her she is very brave. Then Gloria starts crying and suddenly we are all at it.

Both girls eventually go to sleep.

2pm Purchase replica Monkey from shop in St Andrews. Should be here by the end of the week.

4pm. Go to friend's house for tea. Glorymouse much more cheerful, but E still a bit subdued.

Bedtime. "Monkey?" says Emma as R gets her into her pyjamas, but it's not really a question. She knows he's gone.

We are never getting guinea pigs.

4 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger clarey b said...

What a nightmare! I can't imagine what would happen if O lost his bunny (which no longer looks like a bunny but 'roadkill' as one of our friends delicately put it). Sounds like you're all coping brilliantly to me...

 
At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every parents nightmare.. but the kids do survive and so do the parents. We've been lucky we never lost any precious stuffed animals. But lots of pets have died.. rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters etc. Always caused tears. Now we have a dog who is alive and well !!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger sarah said...

How dreadful...i was slight teary eyed whilst reading it...i hope the replica is accepted well! Its so sad when they lose something that they really love!

Keep us informed of when the new "monkey" arrives!
xxx

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Minks said...

oh monkey x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home