Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

What now?

So now that I'm practically a Swiss citizen, what shall I do now? Pick some Edelweiss? Book a yodelling class? Try one of the rust-coloured anatomical-looking local sausages? (I've managed to avoid this one in particular for the last year and a half. I can stall some more.)

Meanwhile, R has been to the dentist and come back evangelising about oral hygiene.
E.g:
R: "We must start flossing regularly!"
Slady: "Oh."
or
R: "Have you flossed today?"
Slady: "No."
or
R: "Now that I floss regularly, my gums have stopped bleeding!"
Slady: "Oh!"

Is he trying to tell me something?

I've always been avoidant of the dentist. My non-attendance record is four years. I prefer to give my teeth a light dust now and then, and act surprised when they all need extracting. But dental floss? C'mon! It's just a bit of waxy thread, and the temptation to dispose of it by wiping it on a clean surface is very great.

So flossing: is it optional (5 a day), compulsory (giving up smoking) or Compulsory (washing your hands after you go to the loo)?

(It's raining and my mind has wandered.)

4 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my dental record matches yours and I would say that flossing is a definite optional in this house - that is if optional is 'never'.

sorry if my breath is offending any of your other readers.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

I'm not a fan of the dentist either. Not so much of the pain that may or may not be inflicted on me, so much as the cost. I'm a miser, see.

I steer well clear of floss and I'll tell you why because I know you're dying to find out. I saw my cousin for the first time in 10 years a couple of years ago. I knew there was something different about her but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then it struck me, "Mary, have you always had that gap between your front teeth?"

She hadn't! And she was mightily annoyed about it. Her dentist told her it was the years of flossing that had pushed her front teeth apart!

Now I just stick to hacking away at my teeth after every meal with a toothpick and very vigorous brushing. Nobody's ever complained about my breath so I must be doing something right.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Like Switzerhubby I am an evangelical flosser. My gums never bleed, and also once you've seen (and smelt - sorry) the pits of crap that come off on the floss *after you've brushed*, it's very hard to go back to non-flossing.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must run in the family, I too am an unapologetic daily flosser. It's good for your teeth and it takes all of 1 minute, so why not? And yes, it can be quite astonishing or even nauseating to discover what lives between your teeth beyond the reach of bristles...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home