Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Why is this nursery business so complicated?

As of Friday, my Elf is going for 2 hourly stretches on her own in the nursery. Of course, by 'on her own', I mean with 2 educatrices (sorry about poncey insertion of French there, I genuinely can't think of the English. Nursery teachers?) and 8 other feisty, confident 2 year olds. It's just this time, instead of hanging around in kiddyland, I bought tonight's supper (Morrocan veggie stew and couscous), emptied the nappy bin, did the recycling and read The Week while gorging myself on millionaire shortbread in an unusually silent and peaceful home. (Millionaire shortbread is this: shortbread, caramel, chocolate, in layers. The calorific content of a square cm equals a week's worth of Weightwatchers points. I can give you the recipe if you like.)

At 4.30, full of guilt and high on sugar I went to the nursery to find a small, blonde bundle with swollen, red-rimmed eyes gulping and sobbing in the arms of one of the adults. I nearly burst into tears when I saw her. When they told me she'd been crying most of the time, I mumbled 'merci' and quickly carried her out before actually bursting into tears in the street.

She's not normally one for the whole separation anxiety thing. Normally, Emma ignores me most of the time - I become useful when she needs food or her nappy changed or occasionally for entertainment purposes, but otherwise she plays with her lego (big into lego at the moment) and twitters to herself, quite happily, on her own. Normally strangers don't phase her much. Now I don't know what to think: was it just a bad day? Is the place not right for her? Are the other kids too big and scary? Is the language thing a problem? Is she too young?

The educatrice told me matter-of-factly to be brave and that Emma was coming back tomorrow for 3 hours. She is a nice woman, but a bit kind of bossy and strict and I worry about that, too. I know - if I had ten 2-year-olds in a room, probably 'bossy' and 'strict' is the only way to cope with life. But she has a habit of barking instructions at the kids, and I know my Elf isn't very good at instructions yet, even in English. Am I being too soft?

I need a cup of tea now.

4 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Awwww, the poor little love! No, you're not being too soft, it's hard to let them go off alone, especially when they're finding it equally as difficult.

In other matters, yes please, I'd love that recipe. I adore Millionaire's Shortbread. I had forgotten all about it until now! Yummmmmm!

 
At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor you. All my kids had a hard time with seperation. Just keep taking her and before you know it, she'll be loving it ! And then you can enjoy your free time more as well.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me... but you did promise some nuns, I believe! x

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh love. As you know I've had similar issues with Eliott at the creche - but slowly and surely he's getting better and better and actually enjoying himself there. I think they find their first foray into independence pretty world-turning whenever it happens - and think of all those babs who go into nursery from three months... Be brave, keep going and that little elf will be loving nursery as much as she loves lego real soon xxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home