Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Friday, November 11, 2005

I've just got back from Geneva where I've been working for three days. Yes, you heard; I said been working. Like a professional person, with a briefcase and severe hair. I may even have actually worn a skirt.

But boy oh boy am I glad to get back to my Elf and my louche housewifely lifestyle! People With Jobs out there, how do you do it? Three days of it nearly finished me off, let me tell you.

First, there's the getting up in the morning. My usual small, blonde alarm clock goes off at 7am which is very reasonable if you think about it. And she doesn't mind if I don't get dressed until 11, whereby I only swap pyjamas for my comfortable house slacks. Until Monday I don't think I'd brushed my hair in a year, either. But getting up at 5.30! And making myself presentable to an office environment! (I was only doing admin, but for 30 CHF an hour, I'd've packed frozen chickens in fancy dress.) Thankfully I only had one smart skirt capable of negotiating my enormous girth, so I was spared the agony of choice. I think I scrubbed up OK, though the taming of the 5.30am hair was a challenge.

Secondly, the hateful, hateful commute. It was a surprise to see so many people about on the station platform, all looking much better turned out than I, but all with the same Shoot Me expression. There was fighting for seats: my Little Orphan look doesn't have the same effect in my office drag, but at least I had my belly as backup. Deathly quiet on the journey itself as people reflect on the monotony of their lives/try and get some more kip. Then a bus, with the stupidest, most confusing, change-refusing ticket machines. Then a walk, next to a big motorway.

All day long: copy, stuff, staple, fiddle on computer, dream about Elf. High point: fancy canteen in UN office (I was not working for the UN, but these other folks are allowed to use their canteen.)

Then another hateful journey all the way back home. Elf asleep at both ends of the day, which was hard thing to bear. Though when we finally were reunited, I got the strong impression she barely noticed my absence. And now it's over, phew! It wasn't all bad; it made a change, I've made enough money for a child-free romantic weekend away in a medium-range hotel, I got to speak to adults all day. Would I do it again?

Too much like hard work.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Work really doesn't agree with me either... which is quite lucky really as I just lost my job. Shh... don't tell Mr P, I'm going to see if he notices me hanging out with the lobster a little more than usual!

 
At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

''Secondly, the hateful, hateful commute. It was a surprise to see so many people about on the station platform, all looking much better turned out than I, but all with the same Shoot Me expression.''

thats so funny. haven't thought about that for years. A long time ago I had to go to work by train.. I HATED it. Life here is soooo diffrent.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home