Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I Had a Farm in Arfricah

As part of a general genning up on our next adventure, I've just re-watched Out of Africa. (It first came out in 1985 - don't that make you feel old?) It won a cabinet full of Oscars. What I don't quite get though, is why didn't anyone notice - between superlatives about the acting, cinematography etc - that it's crashingly dull?

The first hour goes like this.

Scene 1: Meryl looks out wistfully across the savannah to soaring classical music.
Scene 2: Low-level flirting between Meryl and Robert. When Bob's passion runs high, he gets out his scratchy gramaphone and they dance.
Scene 3: Meryl works on the farm and talks patronisingly to the natives.
Scene 4: Meryl meets a lion. Bob to the rescue! (They repeat this lion thing 3 times in all. By the third time, I was hoping it would eat at least one of them.)
Scene 5: Meryl looks out wistfully...zzzzzzzz.zzzz

Occasionally interesting things happen, like Meryl gets syphillis or the farm burns down, but they are thin on the ground in 2 and a half hours of staring and encounters with big game. Do you see what I mean? Or has the X Factor addled my brain?


In other news. I am very nearly not sick anymore, though I still need to take it easy. Friday is our last day in Switzerland, and therefore the last day of Switzerlady. There are boxes everywhere, though most of them are yet to be filled. I turned 34 yesterday, and had special breakfast of pancakes with maple syrup. It stayed down. 'God bless America', I say.



8 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated birthday and all the best for your new adventure in Africa :)

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Marie said...

Happy Birthday! Is there going to be a Uganda blog? (please yes please yes please yes)

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

So glad your nausea is dying down , I laughed out loud at out of Afica-never seen it !!!Happy Birthday xxx

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There HAS to be a Uganda blog, or I'll have to find another family I don't know on the t'internet to cyber-stalk.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Marie said...

I forgot to mention how much I love 'Out Of Africa'...

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've never met or even corresponded before now but I must join the clamour for your blog to continue.

I cannot tell you how much I enjoy your writings, Switzerlady. You *must* blog (as Ugandalady?) and let us all know where on t'internet to find you.

I have laughed with you and cried with you for months and months and can't wait to experience your life in Arfricah.

Best wishes for packing all those boxes and transporting them and your family across continents.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

As my last comment was erased (evil internet plot) I just wanted to add a very belated happy birthday, a plea for a Uganda blog, and my agreement with my little sis: I LOVE Out of Africa. But it bears as much likeness to my day to day African reality as Blade Runner.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Please keep blogging - I want to hear all about your and your family's adventures and follow the progess of the new little one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home