Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Do you remember I wrote something sniffy and moralistic about 'no more narcissitic posts' from now on? Well, guess what! It was a big, fat lie! Heck, sometimes you just have to beat that drum, yank that chain, smack that pony. So here it comes, my big whinge, and it's all me, me, me, me, me ME! Me and my morning sickness.

Firstly - let's get rid of the 'morning', bit, once and for all shall we? (I won't even bother responding to the people out there who think it's all in the mind.) Morning, afternoon, evening - any time is fair game. I've even been known - frequently, in fact - to wake up in the middle of the night, throw up, then go back to sleep.

What makes me sick? In short, everything. Just waking up. Cooking smells. 'Over-exertion.' By which I mean going to the laundry room and back, taking the rubbish out, sometimes just too much wandering from room to room. Things that are now out of the question: domestic chores, going to the shops, looking after my children, any kind of food preparation (I have to hold my breath as I open the fridge door). In short, normal functioning is suspended.

Eating ceased to be a pleasure some time ago. Now it's a case of "must fill stomach now." In fact, the thought that has consumed each waking moment for the past 4 weeks is 'what shall I do to get some relief'? Birthdays have come and gone. My friends have had babies, got married, moved house. People I love have sent concerned emails. I've ignored them all. The present, the nausea, is everything.

What do I eat? A short list. White bread. Honey. Ham. Gherkins. Rice, sometimes, as long as it's drowned in soy sauce. Occasionally with peas, but again, heavy camouflage. I'm sick of all of it. What do I drink? Coke. I hate it, but the bubbles and the sweetness calm the stomach, at least for a bit. I can't drink water: I taste the motes of dust, the washing up liquid or the chemicals in the plastic. It's unspeakably foul, though just about OK if I add some apple juice.

With all that coke sugar, it's important to brush my teeth, right? Yes, only it makes me vomit, pretty much instantly. All that jabbing around in the mouth - it's like sticking my fingers down my throat. Once I've thrown up, I haven't got the energy to do them again. So my poor teeth have a nightly coating of stomach acid. I can almost feel them rotting in my head.

Let's not forget the tiredness. The tiredness. Some days I don't know which is worse, the overwhelming nausea or the crushing, draining, emptying exhaustion that accompanies it. I've spent hours and hours in bed sleeping, but it's never enough.

How many times a day am I sick? Well, on a good day, twice. 2 is the minimum. On a good day - like today - I can pootle about on the computer, have a shower, make a few phone calls, that sort of thing. I must be careful not to overdo it. On a bad day - yesterday - I have a good morning, decide to do the recycling, then retire to bed, vomiting almost non stop in the afternoon. How many times? I lost count.

This has been my life for 4 weeks, and I've had enough. The Switzergent has surpassed himself, looking after the girls, cooking and clearing up, bringing me a stale roll to gnaw on in bed. He hasn't complained. Our friends, my ma, the Red Cross ladies have mucked in and I feel amazingly well-supported, as well as hugely grateful. But enough is enough: I want to be back to normal.

5 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger lilla said...

hello switzerlady.
i have been reading your blog for some time now. in fact i have read it from the beginning(that will give you some idea of how uninspiring my job is;)
anyway i thought i would de-lurk myself and say hi. i really enjoy the blog.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

And yet, I'm still just the teensiest bit jealous*......

Are you sure there's only one in there? My last Obstetrician told me that often, in cases of extreme "morning" sickness, it's because there are more than one little heartbeats. Double or- heaven forbid- triple the hormones means double or triple the nausea.

Have I already said that before? I lose track of my comments wheelings and dealings.

*But not jealous enough.

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh poor you, I have been there as well,first pregnancy I was sick and thought it to be terrible,but compared to the third pregnancy it was heaven.

But it will pass! Hang in there and chin up only maybe 3-5 weeks more and then you will be able to start to eat again,as soon as i was cured from my all-day-through-sickness back then.
I gobbled up almost everything within reach;-) at first, so happy was I, to be able to keep it down and to experience all the flavours and aromas of the food.

Take care!

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good news is that after the first trimester, you're usually not so tired...the bad news is that saying morning sickness is over after the first trimester is a big lie. I should know...I've only got three weeks until my due date and even though I'm not vomitting, I cough and gag every morning!

But it WILL get easier...only to be replaced by the uncomfortable feeling that you're waddling everywhere you go. :) Ahhh pregnancy, what a wonderful, beautiful and horrific experience! Hang in there! :)

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be two. My sister-in-law felt not as bad as you, but verry bad. She got twins. I would check verry soon if there is not more than one. Feel for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home