Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Fancy a bike ride?

Imagine you have to build a tower out of 70 bags of sugar. Done it? Good. Bit wobbly, but just about standing. Now, knock it down and rebuild it again in a way that you can attach it to the back of your bike. Except pretend it's not sugar, but costly, life-saving drugs, fragile as well, so get rid of the wobbliness, please and come to think of it, wrap it in lots of plastic weave so it doesn't get wet.

Finished? Well, you can't stop for tea because now you have to ride your bike for about 300km to get the medicines to the people that need them. And look - sorry about the roads. And mind your back because there are still people with guns lurking who want to steal the drugs or kill you or both. Watch the -yikes!- snakes, too.

Let us now pause for a moment and look at this guy:




This Conglese guy actually does all that: it's his job. I'm sorry I don't know his real name. I wish I did; I'd like to know more of his story.

What I do know is that Medair supplies his drugs and bought the bicycle on which he makes these perilous journeys to areas that would otherwise be inaccessible. And he is just one of many incredibly brave people doing the same thing in Eastern Congo.

This year I'm running my 20km race for Medair's Congo programme and I want to raise £1000. Will you give me some money please? It's very easy to make a donation from the medair website.

Thanks everyone!

PS If you want to give, please let me know how much by comment or email so I can keep track of the lolly coming in. Merci.

4 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Switzerlady,

You have just received a £50 donation for Medair-Congo. I was really tempted to divert it to Medair-Iran, though. How well, will have to go back and make another donation...

Anyway - I hope the relief work is as good as you blog, in which case it will money well spent indeed.

Enjoy the running ;-)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Tooting bird said...

THANK YOU, a.n. other! I really appreciate it and thanks for being so nice about the blog.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

25 squids in the fund for you...GOOD LUCK on the day.
Clare xx

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Aaron Stewart said...

It never ceases to impress me to see just how much people can fit on a bike here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home