Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Milk matters

When you breastfeed a tiny baby, people say things like "oh that's good" or smile approvingly at the Madonna-and-Childness of it all. Nowadays when I mention I'm still breastfeeding, the voice says "Good for you!" but the face says "Are you going to end up with a child like David Walliams in Little Britain?"

I am starting to wonder the same thing.

Emma is nearly 11 months, so we are still technically within the 'recommended' 1st year when the DOH says you should keep breastfeeding if possible and if you are enjoying it.

I have stopped enjoying it. Emma does not share my view.

The night before last I bought a box of formula and doggedly made up 2 types of bottle and a plastic beaker in the vain hope she would take one of them before bed. Just this brought me to the brink of a nervous breakdown and a new level of awe for folk who have exclusively bottle-fed from the beginning. (Should I still be sterilising everything? Do i really need to use cooled boiled water as it tells me to?) Emma's reaction: reject. reject. reject.

Unbowed, we tried again in the morning. She took about 2 sips from the beaker and then wailed, grabbing at my pyjamas for her usual. I didn't give in, but distracted her as best I could for the next couple of hours. Afterwards she seemed OK, but I was a total jelly inside.

How on earth I am going to get her to drop the evening feed I don't know.

Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home