Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Sunday, November 28, 2004

fruitless dithering

(sigh) does anyone know how to make gravy?
We roasted a chicken today. In a moment of joie de vivre, I said I'll make the gravy, I know how to make gravy!
I don't know how to make gravy.
I 'threw' in a little wine and 'tossed' in a little flour (I mean how hard can it be) to the pan juices and got a grey, congealed mass of boiling lumpiness.
We had Bisto.

I also wrote a Christmas Newsletter. I mean, we've had quite a year, we've moved country and had a baby, people want to know about this sort of thing, don't they? But I re-read it and by the third paragraph I was overcome with the cheesiness of the whole exercise. And this is partly the point of the blog, to avoid such a cheese mountain.
The letter was deleted.

Not a productive day.


1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2.something years later, andreas replied:
1) add water/wine/broth to pan juices
2) reduce a bit
3) whizz in COLD butter cubes to bind the thing
4) simmer for a bit
5) enjoy
If you're doing it with flour:
1) add flour to pan juices
2) VERY SLOWLY, stirring/whizzing constantly, add water
3) simmer a bit to let it thicken
4) enjoy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home