Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Bleak Spouse

Hmm. Novelty has worn off with the snow thing. It's -8 during the day, -24 at night. Sort of past those 'fresh, bracing, nip in the air' type descriptions straight into 'I can't feel my extremities; those ice crystals on Emma's cheeks can't be good for her' territory. There is fun cold and there is not fun, freezing, freezing cold.

Going out for Emma means: nappy, vest, long-sleeved top, tights, trousers, woolly cardigan, all-in-one ersatz-ermine-trimmed pink snowsuit, balaklava. It takes about half an hour to assemble, and when finally she's ready I'm still in my slippers and Comfortable
House Slacks. The many layers render her completely immobile, which she hates, so I have a small window to get myself changed for the outdoors before the onset of a hissy fit. I strap her in the pram - another cross-making activity - and roll off to the park, about 5 minutes away. By the time we arrive my fingers feel frostbitten and my lips have gone blue. We linger for about 30 seconds or until my smug feeling of being in the fresh air wears off (1 min max.) Then it's home to central heating and a huge tankard of hot chocolate. And the Comfortable House Slacks.

1 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bush goes ballistic about other countries being evil and dangerous, because they have weapons of mass destruction. But, he insists on building up even a more deadly supply of nuclear arms right here in the US. What do you think? Is killing thousands of innocent civilians okay when you are doing a little government makeover?
What happened to us, people? When did we become such lemmings?
The more people that the government puts in jails, the safer we are told to think we are. The real terrorists are wherever they are, but they aren't living in a country with bars on the windows. We are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home