Switzerlady

English housewife and mother in Switzerland. Needs meaningful occupation to prevent life of crime.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

milka mountains

A window of opportunity, and this time without the intrusion of a thousand eyes. Still no proper Internet access though.

We're all still at this conference thing in the Jura mountains. The bad news is that I have loads of time hanging around while R has back-to-back meetings, the good news is that I get to wander round the countryside, which is impossible to get lost in due to the Swiss zealotry for good signposting. Another Good Thing about Switzerland!

I still have issues with cows, though. They might seem benign, lazily chewing the cud and the Alpine bells add a cutesey charm, I admit, but in my universe they are to be feared. They might bite. They might stampede. They might be bulls. An intrusively loud "moo" and I might startle and burst into tears. So it was unpleasant finding myself in a field full of them yesterday, with an infant strapped to my chest. (the infant was Emma. Not a foundling, or anything like that.)
What made it worse was the fact I was with a very lovely, totally fearless Dutch woman, also with two young children, only she kept going up to them (with the kids) and saying things like "Komm! Nicer kuh!." Then she invited the children to pat and stroke them.

So i felt shame and cowardice, quickly followed by jealous rage.

Better go now as La Maitresse has just filled her nappy. She doesn't know this yet, but we are starting solids this weekend. She has started filling the air with owl-like screeching an hour after the last feed, and it is a sound neither my heart nor ears can withstand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home